#RememberingOurselves -Alexa JC

Photograph from Alexa's facebook page

Describe yourself in three words
                                                           Esoteric, passionate, perfectionist 
What are you afraid of?

                                                                     Disappointing people
What is love to you?
 Love is humility. To love means to allow yourself to be vulnerable enough to allow someone to deeply care for you and you to them. Love is an attitude. A decision you make every morning when you wake up. It's all-consuming and perfectly imperfect. 
What is freedom to you?
 To me, freedom is being allowed to dream and see my dreams come to fruition. It means that I am not restrained by anything - laws, society or culture. 

What are you passionate about?
 I am absolutely passionate about everything I do! One of my greatest passions right now is social justice. As I've grown up, I've become increasingly aware of our world and the disadvantages that some people suffer. I feel like I have to do something to change this or make an impact. Even in the smallest of ways. 

What is happiness to you?
 Happiness is when I am surrounded by close friends and family. Happiness is simple without any restrictions. Happiness is the crease in your cheek from laughing too hard. It's the feeling in your stomach when you see the one you love. Happiness is a choice, like love, that you decide for yourself.



What is beautiful to you?
 Beautiful is the confidence to be who you are in a world that tries to narrowly define you and marginalize you. Beautiful is smiling despite adversity. Beautiful is taking pride in your mistakes and standing up each time you fall. Beautiful is the outward appearance of an inward feeling. It's the physical manifestation of God's love for you.

Any favourite quotes and why?
 We accept the love we think we deserve from Perks of Being A Wallflower 

Favourite food?
                                                          Asian stir fry. I love vegetables!

Favourite film?
                                                                      Sweet Dreams
What ethnicity are you?
             I would say I'm a third culture kid, but for all intents and purposes I am a Nigerian. 

Where are you from?
 How do I put this simply? I was born in Philadelphia to a Yoruba/Edo mother who was raised in the UK and a Delta/Igbo father. I've always struggled to answer this question because I don't really feel like I'm from any of these places. By choosing one I'm neglecting the other. I used to say I was American to avoid complications and quite frankly because I was ashamed of my Nigerian heritage. However now, I would have to say that I'm a proud amalgamation of Nigeria and America - of Yoruba, Edo, Delta and Igbo. 

What does this mean to you?
Where I'm from doesn't actually mean a whole lot to me. Home is where my heart it. The physical place is of less importance to me especially since moving to England and really finding 'home' here. 


Comments

Popular Posts